About 85% of girls in the US could also be removing their hair recurrently or even on a every day foundation. The concept of shaving isn’t new, since girls in historical Egypt and Rome might need been already removing their physique hair and thought of maintaining it uncivilized. However the instances have modified and many ladies these days have determined to ditch shaving and preserve their pure look.
We at Vivid Facet obtained interested in this present development and determined to shed some gentle on the the explanation why some girls aren’t bothering to take away their physique hair anymore.
Ladies see it as their means of accepting their our bodies and an act of self-love.
Magnificence requirements and society might make girls self-conscious about the way in which they give the impression of being, and having physique hair is a a part of this. However some girls have determined to put their very own pursuits first and select what’s greatest for his or her our bodies, no matter what different individuals count on from them. And it’s not about judging individuals who favor to shave, however about your physique and making choices for your self.
- I stopped shaving most likely a couple of yr in the past. I simply determined to cease caring about what different individuals considered my physique hair, and I turned a lot happier with my physique. Plus, I get a lot of ingrown hairs and have delicate pores and skin, so not shaving makes me bodily extra comfy. @ Queerandcurious / reddit
- I began shaving my legs when I used to be 14. I’m in New Zealand and it’s heat right here. I trip a bike all over the place and sporting denims when you trip your bike is nice in the winter, however it’s horrendous in summer time. So I determined that I’m sporting shorts from now on. People are mammals. Mammals have hair. And whereas I nonetheless have over 20 years’ value of social conditioning that tells me that shaved legs look higher… for certain, they don’t look ok to be value all the difficulty. @ unknown / reddit
Ladies wish to make a assertion.
Coping with physique hair may be fairly overwhelming since girls should discover time in their schedules to take away their hair in the right way to keep away from any irritation. In addition they should fear about maintaining their pores and skin easy, since hair can grow back fairly quick. And there’s a bunch of magnificence merchandise like razors, shaving lotions, exfoliators, and moisturizers that girls should use to get the very best outcomes and defend their pores and skin from the injury that shaving might trigger.
- I stopped shaving to give myself extra time for precise productive issues, like specializing in my profession. I truly timed each time I shaved for an whole month and it totaled out to 8 hours. @ Poopoopeepeeworm / reddit
Typically it’s a query of well being.
Some individuals suppose that shaving your hair reduces your physique odor, however this turned out to not be completely true. Eradicating hair out of your armpits helps the deodorant to get absorbed by the pores and skin higher, whereas hair would possibly create a barrier that will forestall it. However this barrier additionally prevents the pores and skin from getting broken by friction. And whereas everyone’s physique is completely different, for some girls, not shaving brings extra advantages than disadvantages:
- I tried shaving my armpits in highschool. It was nice in the winter, however I hated that slimy feeling in the summer time when I sweated with no hair buffer. @ NoseFlock / reddit
- That is my second winter of not shaving, and I believe it’s truly much less smelly than being hairless. I undoubtedly favor it to having to shave each different day for concern of stubble. @ BigBoud / reddit
Ladies might have extra necessary issues to do.
Some girls battle in opposition to these imposed magnificence requirements and are attempting to present that we all are allowed to not should cover our pure magnificence. They wish to show that they themselves get to make the choices about their our bodies, have their very own notion of “femininity,” and be ok with themselves with out stress from society.
- I stopped shaving as a result of physique hair is pure. I determined I wished to cease doing it simply to please others. The historical past of shaving is fairly misogynistic too. @ radicalchanges / reddit
- Final yr, I stopped shaving my armpits. At first, it felt like a badass assertion. I felt free, courageous, and a little bit embarrassed when in public. Mockingly, I really feel a lot extra female and assured now. I suppose this got here with braveness. I can nonetheless put a pink gown and lipstick and really feel attractive. My armpit hair doesn’t change that. I really feel prefer it offers a good distinction to my typically very female type. I really feel like I don’t should please anybody anymore. @ unnuka / reddit
Ladies are uninterested in coping with pores and skin irritation.
Though shaving is painless in comparability with different methods of hair removing like waxing, many ladies nonetheless should cope with disagreeable penalties. Razor burn and razor bumps carry a lot of discomfort and trigger a pink rash, tenderness, and pores and skin irritation. And since most ladies take away their hair fairly typically, they should cope with the unwanted effects of this process on a common foundation.
- I stopped shaving due to pores and skin irritation largely. Most of my physique can’t be shaved greater than as soon as a week with out getting pink and bumpy, however my hair is extremely seen after a couple of day. I shave my legs as soon as a week, solely in the summer time, and trim every part else when it will get lengthy sufficient to be irritating. And its largest influence on my life is that I’m not in fixed ache throughout 80% of my physique anymore. @ betsybraddock / reddit
- I’ve at all times had unhealthy experiences with shaving and waxing. I obtained horrible redness, sensitivity, ingrown hairs, razor bumps, rashes, and burns, and most of the people in my life knew that, so most didn’t remark after I stopped. I do nevertheless get seems to be typically if I put on shorts and somebody factors it out. @ MJWatWat / reddit
Some girls simply don’t thoughts having hair on their our bodies.
For a lot of girls, having hair on their our bodies doesn’t trigger any issues in their lives they usually might not even discover it. They don’t perceive why they need to spend their assets to do away with one thing that’s pure simply to attempt to please everyone else and overlook about their very own consolation.
- I by no means noticed the purpose. I was absolutely comfy unshaven, however I used to be at all times meant to do it to not make others uncomfortable. Why ought to I irritate my pores and skin and get itchy a few days later when it grows again? Why ought to I accommodate individuals who don’t even know my title? I’m a lot extra comfy not having to fear about doing one thing that’s ineffective to me, simply because I am anticipated to. @Gluebluehue / reddit
- Shaving is a ache that I don’t really feel the necessity to participate in, apart from when I personally need to. I undoubtedly take pleasure in feeling good and easy, however finally I simply don’t care anymore. We’re all (with some exceptions) born with physique hair, the place our our bodies wished it to develop. @ arnber420 / reddit
Bonus: How shortly physique hair grows again
All people is distinctive and the pace of the hair development might fluctuate from individual to individual. Shaving solely helps do away with the hair itself, with out damaging the hair follicle, so this course of doesn’t intervene with hair development and you may even see the primary noticeable hair rising again fairly shortly, like in a day or 2.
Hold in thoughts that hair on completely different elements of our our bodies has completely different growing cycles. That’s why you might discover that some elements of your physique might get furry sooner than others.
How lengthy have you ever ever gone with out eradicating your physique hair? How did you are feeling? We’d like to examine your private experiences in the feedback.